Difference between revisions of "2006 Panda Build and Configuration"
|Line 65:||Line 65:|
Latest revision as of 03:53, 10 December 2015
Note: this host is now known as aicip.eecs.utk.edu, updated on Aug 10, 2012
- Aug 2012: updated to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
- Build Time: End of 2006
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, $316.99
- Video Card, ATI Radeon 9200 PCI, 128 Memory, $47.00
- Memory, OCZ OCZ2G8002GK 2GB Kit DDR2-800 PC2-6400 Gold Gamer eXtreme XTC, $243.90
- Hard Disk, Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB Serial ATA 7200RPM. Two unit, 2 x 104.99 = $209.98
- DVD Drive: Liteon SHM-165H6S, $38.99
- Asus P5B Motherboard Deluxe, $213.99.
- Case, Antec P150, $101.28. File:P150 manual En.pdf Here is a pretty exhaustive review.
- Logitec Keyboard and Mouse, $25.84
- Total: $1197.97
Upgrade From Feisty (7.04) To Hardy (8.04 LTS)
- the upgrade is in sequence, from 7.04 to 7.10, then to 8.10, and the process requires that you have ubuntu-desktop installed for it to find proper version information
- shouldn't try to fix /dev/null permission issue by removing udev package, which prove to be a disaster.
- when package dependency is broken, the best way to deal with it:
dpkg --configure pkg_name dpkg --configure -a
the first command try to fix one particular package if that is the blocker for the rest; the second one tries to fix all packages.
- For some reason, the slapd is not automatically started. Manual start maybe required.
- As of Hardy 8.04, both libnss-ldap and libpam-ldap use /etc/ldap.conf, so this file must be configured manually. However, the file is generated by:
For some reason, the debconf asks to use URI for specifying LDAP server address. However, the following input during the configuration process doesn't work: authentication of user always fail.
So I manually went into /etc/ldap.conf, commented out above line, and use the old style:
Then everything is fine.
- server side, we need to make sure it is running
- client side, we need to make sure the mounting point defined /etc/fstab are mounted
sudo mount -a