Difference between revisions of "A Resilient Real-Time System for a Secure and Reconfigurable Power Grid"
|Line 94:||Line 94:|
Revision as of 04:04, 10 December 2015
Energy infrastructure is a critical underpinning of modern society that any compromise or sabotage of its secure and reliable operation will have a prominent impact on people's daily lives and the national economy. This project develops a hardware-in-the-loop reconfigurable system with embedded intelligence and resilient coordination schemes that would tackle the vulnerabilities of the power grid.
- June 3-4, 2009: Our team has been invited to talk at NSF's Workshop on New Research Directions for Future Cyber-Physical Energy Systems based on a position paper submitted, titled "Securing the power grid with collaborative embedded intelligence". Dr. Fran Li will represent the team to give the presentation.
- April 16, 2009: Dr. Hairong Qi presented our project at EPRI's Workshop on Self-Healing Protection & Control toward Smart Transmission Grid
- September 1, 2008: A 3-year NSF CTT-M project was awarded to our team.
- May-July, 2008: Dr. Hairong Qi visits the State Key Laboratory of Industrial Control Technology at ZheJiang University, Hangzhou, China.
- March 16-18, 2008: Dr. Peng Ning and Yang Bai represent our team to attend the CT-PI meeting held at Yale University.
- November, 2007: Dr. Massoud Amin did a presentation at a conference cosponsored by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York and the National Academy of Sciences. The summary of the presentation has been published at both Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York and National Academy Press. See Publication.
- October 1, 2007: DOE funded UT $120K to support graduate students for Electric Grid Analysis using Distributed State Estimation Techniques and Control Based Approaches.
- September 1, 2007: NSF CTT project kick off.
- July 25-26, 2007: Workshop on Advanced Approaches to a Resilient and Reconfigurable Power Grid (internal link) was held at UT, Knoxville.
Recent Publications and Presentations
- H. Qi, L. Tolbert, F. Li, X. Wang, K. Tomsovic, F. Z. Peng, P. Ning, M. Amin, "Securing the power grid with collaborative embedded intelligence," Workshop on New Research Directions for Future Cyber-Physical Energy Systems, Baltimore, Maryland, June 3-4, 2009. (pdf)
- M. Chen, C. Nolan, X. Wang, S. Adhikari, F. Li, H. Qi, "Hierarchical utilization control for real-time and resilient power grid," 21st Euromicro Conference on Real-Time Systems (ECRTS), Dublin, Ireland, July 1-3, 2009. (pdf)
- F. Z. Peng, Y. W. Li and L. M. Tolbert, "Control and protection of power electronics interfaced distributed generation systems in a customer-driven microgrid," The 2009 General Meeting of the IEEE Power and Energy Society (Invited paper and to appear in July). (pdf)
- M. Amin, "Smart grid: Opportunities and challenges - Toward a stronger and smarter grid," Keynote at the Smart Grid Workshop sponsored by Sandia National Laboratories at the MIT Energy Conference Cambridge, Massachusetts, March 6, 2009 (pdf)
- M. Amin, "Challenges in reliability, security, efficiency, and resilience of energy infrastructure: Toward smart selfhealing electric power grid," IEEE Power & Energy Society (PES) General Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA, July 20-24,2008 (pdf)
- M. Amin, "Resilience and self-healing challenges: Present/possible futures," 3rd International Workshop on Critical Information Infrastructures Security (CRITIS'08), Frascati, invited by the PM's office, Rome, Italy, October 13-15, 2008 (pdf)
- M. Amin, "The smart self-healing electric power grid: Challenges in security and resilience of energy infrastructure," Proceedings of the 2008 IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, Pittsburgh, July 2008. (pdf)
- J. Balaguer, U. Supatti, Q. Lei, N. Choi, and F. Z. Peng, "Intelligent control for intentional islanding operation of microgrids," in Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Sustainable Energy Technologies, pp. 898-903, 24-27 Nov. 2008. (pdf)
- U. Supatti and F. Z. Peng, "Z-source inverter based wind power generation system," in Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Sustainable Energy Technologies, pp. 634-638, 24-27 Nov. 2008. (pdf)
- I. Balaguer, H. Kim, F. Z. Peng, and E. Ortiz, "Survey of photovoltaic power systems islanding detection methods," in Proc. of IEEE 34th Industrial Electronics, pp. 2247-2252, 10-13 Nov. 2008. (pdf)
- F. Li, Z. Chen, L. Fan, and P. Zhang, "Toward a self-Healing protection and control system," North American Power Symposium (NAPS) 2008, Calgary, Canada, Sept. 28-30, 2008. (pdf)
- M. Amin and J. Stringer, "The electric power grid: today and tomorrow," MRS Bull., Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 399-407, April 2008. (pdf)
- M. Amin and B. Horowitz, "Toward agile and resilient large-scale systems: Adaptive robust national/international infrastructures," in Flexibility with Business Excellence in the Knowledge Economy, pp. 247-265, November 2007, ISBN: 81-903397-7-X (pdf)
- Amin and Schewe, "Preventing blackouts," Scientific American, pp. 60-67, May 2007 (pdf)
- I. Balaguer-Alvarez, H. Kim, F. Z. Peng, E. I. Ortiz-Rivera, "Survey of distributed generation systems islanding detection methods," Technical Report, October 2007. (pdf)
- M. Amin, "New directions for understanding systemic risk," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 13, no. 2, Nov. 2007. and 108pp, Nat'l Acad. Press, Washington, DC, 2007. (pdf)
- J. Nutaro, P. T. Kuruganti, L. Miller, S. Mullen, and M. Shankar, "Integrated hybrid-simulation of electric power and communications systems," Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting. (pdf)
- J. Nutaro, P. T. Kuruganti, L. Miller, S. Mullen, and M. Shankar, "Integrated modeling of the electric grid, communications, and control," Special Issue of the International Journal of Energy Sector Management, on Operation Research Models and Methods in the Energy Sector (ORMMES) Submitted on: Final revision - March 24, 2008 (pdf)
- A. Nagari, I. Elhanany, B. Thompson, "A parallel processing architecture for solving large-scale linear systems," International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications (PDPTA'08), July, 2008. (pdf)
- ECE692 - Special Topic on Computational Methods for Electric Power Systems by Dr. Fran Li
- Sample Final Project - K. Gomatom, M. C. Kisacikoalu, Z. Chen, "State estimation with malicious attack." (pdf)
- UT: Hairong Qi, Leon Tolbert, Fran Li, Itamar Elhanany, Xiaorui Wang, Kevin Tomsovic
- MSU: Fang Z. Peng
- UMN: Massoud Amin
- NCSU: Peng Ning
- Yang Bai (Ph.D./UT) - distributed state estimation
- Neeharika Jarajapu (M.S./UT) - control-theoretic approaches
- Arun Nagari (M.S./UT) - hardware-accelerated contingency analysis platform
- Ben Thompson (UG/UT) - hardware-accelerated contingency analysis platform
- Irvin J. Balaguer (Ph.D./MSU) - control and coordination of DGs in microgrids
- Qin Lei (M.S./MSU) - microgrid transits (voltage and frequency changes during grid outage)
- Sara Mullen (Ph.D./UM) - simulation and modeling
- Laurie Miller (Ph.D./UM) - simulation and modeling
- Yao Liu (Ph.D./NCSU) - security
- NSF CNS-0831466, Cybertrust Program
- DOE Office of Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability
- NSF CNS-0716492, Cybertrust Program